Pedals are a great addition to guitars. We will be talking about two types of pedals, mainly the distortion and the overdrive pedal.
These types of pedals add grittiness to the sound according to how the guitarist wants to play.
Distortion and overdrive pedals are forms of an audio signal used to change the sound produced by musical instruments (e.g. Guitar) by increasing their gain by producing a gritty, fuzzy sound.
Distortion pedals are mostly used with electric guitars, but they can be used with other guitars as well, for example, electric bass, electric piano, and others.
Overdrive pedals are used to get overdrive sounds, commonly used in genres like blues, rockabilly, and others.
Some of the famous overdrive pedals you will see today include Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer, Boss OD3, and many others.
For the distortion pedals include Boss DS1, ProCo Rat, and many others.
In this article, we will be comparing the Boss DS1 and the Boss SD1 side by side. This will help you in making a good purchasing decision.
Boss DS1CHECK PRICE HERE
As I said above, we will be talking about Boss models on distortion and overdrive pedals.
Before the introduction of DS1, distortion pedals were created to produce harsh, buzzy sound at a high gain setting.
DS1 was introduced in 1978. The brand changed by developing a unique distortion circuit for the DS1 that produces tight, hard-edged gain with rich harmonics while also retaining the features of guitars.
Boss’ first distortion pedal has a bold new sound, delivering a hard-edged attack and smooth sustain that has been used by guitarists.
It has a modest three-knob interface, with many different sound colors with two-stage circuits with both transistor and op-amp gain stages.
It has a tone circuit that has an innovative design that has a wider range than most other distortion pedals.
You can turn the knob of the pedal clockwise to increase the high if you feel it is low and decrease the lows, while anticlockwise vice versa.
This allows you to be in control of almost everything as far as the pedal is concerned, from the tight and cutting rhythm sounds to the smooth and fat lead voices.
The tone control allows for efficient and effective maintenance of the low end. It also offers rougher and more aggressive distortion which is made towards the start sound of the British amplifier.
Why You Should Buy
- Quality: Boss DS1 is a quality pedal. Like many of the products of the Boss brand, Boss DS1 can boast of being one of the world-renowned pedals that have ever been created.
- Durability: There is no need to question the durability of Boss DS1. In fact, a feature you tend to get from a Boss pedal product you bought is that it is extremely durable.
The technology of the world is ever-changing. There is an element of improvement for every single thing in the world.
However, that doesn’t mean some of the things that have been created years past will become irrelevant.
In fact, some of these products are still on the market, and a lot of people still enjoy using them.
Boss SD1 made its appearance in 1981. That is over 40 years of existence. It is one of the quality overdrive pedals that we have around.
It is tested and trusted. The fact that it is still in circulation, and still being used speaks of the quality of the product that even after many years people are still using it.
The pedal gives you a slight distortion sound with an overdrive tube amplifier which will also help to maintain the sound from the guitar.
The pedal also features an asymmetric overdrive circuit which will also help the guitarists with the sound effect and tone.
Why You Should Buy
- Good sound: Boss SD1 pedal is a very good pedal that helps the guitarist a lot. It has a good sound that goes along with the way you want it and not just this alone the sound is maintained it does not change midway when playing. This helps in the sound production of the pedal according to what the guitarist wants.
- Quality: Boss SD1 pedal has proven to be of great quality and as we have said above, the pedal gives you a good sound according to your directive. It has proven over time to be very durable which is one of the main characteristics of a quality pedal.
- It is durable: Durability has become a major theme that accompanied Boss products. Even before the production of this model, we have seen many boss models which are strong, durable, and not easily damaged. Just the fact that it was a Boss model already gives the impression that it is durable, and yeah, it didn’t disappoint at all.
Boss SD1 VS DS1: Our Pick
I really don’t have a pick between the two. Your demands will really determine your choice between the two pedals.
I hope the information helps your purchasing decision.
Here are other related blog posts that you can check out: